Wikimedia CH recognizes the importance of your privacy and of transparency in its processing of your personal data.
2. Short Version
- Wikimedia CH is responsible for the processing, as controller, of your personal data (see section 3);
- When you interact with us, for instance when you browse our Website, make a donation, or subscribe to our newsletter, we collect personal data which you provide to us, or which we collect automatically (see sections 4 and 9);
- Your personal data is stored in Switzerland and/or in the E.U. We do not share it with third parties or transfer it abroad unless this is both necessary for the operation of our activities and permitted by applicable laws. This may for instance be the case when we use service providers, such as RaiseNow for processing payments, or must interact with third parties to conduct our activities. For clarity, we will never sell your personal data to third parties (see sections 7 and 8);
- You may contact us (email@example.com) to exercise your rights pertaining to your personal data, such as your right to access or request the modification or erasure of your personal data (see section 10).
3. Who is responsible for the processing of your personal data
Wikimedia CH, Via Vedeggio 3, 6814 Lamone, is responsible for the processing, as controller, of your personal data. You will find our contact details below in Section 10.6.
4. Data collection
We collect the personal data which you provide.
- We collect, directly or indirectly via our partners, the personal data you provide with us and/or our partners through web forms or email, or in your use of the Website, for example, when you subscribe to Wikimedia CH’s newsletter, donate to Wikimedia CH, apply for a job within Wikimedia CH, or apply for membership within Wikimedia CH.
- Such information includes your name, company name, if applicable, date of birth, gender, address, email, telephone numbers, resume, and any other information which we and/or our partners may request from you.
Some information is mandatory and some is optional.
- It is mandatory that you complete the data fields identified by an asterisk. If one or more mandatory data fields are not completed, we will not be able to provide access to our Website. You are not required to complete the optional data fields in order to access our Website.
Certain personal data are also collected in an automated manner.
- You may define certain authorizations related to automatic collection of your personal data by you configuring your device or your internet browser, according to the available functionalities. You may also define certain settings for the automated collection of your personal data through the cookies setting plugin available on the Website. For more detailed information, please consult the chapter on cookies below (section 9).
5. Processing Methods
We may process your personal data by automated means but takes appropriate security measures in this respect.
- We do not use any individual decision-making based solely on automated processing including profiling mechanisms on the Website.
6. Purposes of Data Processing
We processes your personal data to operate the Website.
- Your personal data is collected so that we may operate the Website in accordance with the circumstances, or in the manner expressly indicated when the personal data concerned is collected. For example, we allow you to navigate on and use the Website or to re-engage you accessing and using the Website.
- In addition to the personal data which you provide when interacting with the Website, we automatically collect technical information about your interactions with the Website, such as IP address, the content that was accessed, date and time of access, information about your web browser, your preferences, or other information related to your interaction with the Website, including your navigation details on the Website. We process this data to establish a connection with your device over the internet, to identify you when you use the Website, control the use of the Website and manage its stability and security, based on our legitimate interest to do so.
We may process your personal data to provide you with its newsletter and provide you further news and updates.
- For example, by subscribing to our newsletter, we will provide you with email alerts on Wikimedia CH news and updates on Wikimedia CH’s community life, in particular on our activities and events such as Wikipedia / Wikimedia contribution workshops or clinic, activities and events proposed by our members within Wikimedia CH’s statutory goal such as open source photo contest. You may withdraw your consent at any time.
We may process your personal data to allow you to apply for membership within Wikimedia CH.
- Wikimedia CH is a Swiss association. As an individual, you can join Wikimedia CH as an active member provided you actively contribute to Wikimedia projects, for example as a Wikipedia author or photographer for Wikimedia Commons, and provided you adhere to and accept Wikimedia CH’s Bylaws accessible at https://wikimedia.ch/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/bylaws-wikimedia-ch-05022020-en-002.pdf.
We may process your personal data to allow you to make a donation to Wikimedia CH.
- In certain sections of the Website, we may process your personal date to allow you to make a donation to Wikimedia CH and to support our non-for-profit associative purpose, our global movement that supports Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects, and our actions (see https://donate.wikimedia.ch/en/index.html?fromindex=1).
We may process your personal data to provide you with job opportunities within Wikimedia CH.
- In a certain section of the Website, we may process your personal date to allow you consulting and applying for job opportunities within Wikimedia CH. Your personal data is processed no longer that the recruitment process unless required otherwise by contrary applicable laws and regulations or our legitimate interest.
We may process your personal data to provide our services for volunteers and for institutions.
- We offers a wide range of services to support projects lead by volunteers, who supported Wikimedia CH, or for galleries, libraries, archives, museums or other institutions, which want to share their collections.
We may process your personal data for internal analysis and statistical purposes.
- We may process your personal data, in particular data relating to your use of our Website and your preferences (e.g. the content you accessed, date and time of access and your preferences), to improve the Website and for internal analyses and statistics. You may withdraw your consent at any time.
7. Communication to Third Parties
- We may communicate your personal data to third parties as part of operating the Website and to subcontractors such as IT systems providers, cloud service providers, database providers and consultants, including RaiseNow. RaiseNow (https://www.raisenow.com) is a certified online payment and donation platform especially dedicated to non-profit organizations and charities, which makes it easy and secure to make transactions. RaiseNow ensures that credit and debit card payments are secure both for us and the cardholder.
- We may also enable you to use third-party services directly from the Website, namely through social plug-ins of Flickr, Facebook and Twitter, in which case you recognize that the third-party operators of these services may access some of your personal data in connection with the Website.
- We may disclose your personal data to any third party to whom we assign or transfer any of our rights or obligations.
- We may disclose your personal data to competent courts or supervisory or regulatory bodies, when we are compellingly required to disclose your personal data, pursuant to any applicable law, regulation or order.
8. International transfer
Your personal data is stored in Switzerland and/or the European Union but may in certain circumstances be disclosed in other countries.
- We store and handles your personal data in Switzerland and/or within the European Union.
- If you transfer your personal data to us, you specifically agree to such disclosure and international transfer.
9. Cookies and similar technologies
- We use diverse types of cookies or other similar technologies some of which are likely to automatically process data directly on your devices and/or to transfer data personal concerning you to we.
- You will find the list of cookies we use in connection with the Website and their description on the Cookie management page of the Website.
You may manage the cookies and similar technologies via the settings of your browser and/or your devices, as well as through the interface available on the Website.
- For more information, please visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org. Please check the user help sections of your Web browser or electronic device for specific instructions on the management of cookies.
- These technologies are generally aimed at monitoring and analyzing your interactions with the Website and/or to enable we to improve the Website and its functionalities, namely through a personalization of the Website and the related services, according to your interactions.
- Some cookies are retained in your electronic device for only as long as you access and use the Website, while others persist for a longer specified or unspecified period.
- Cookies are generally divided in four categories:
- Essential Cookies. Some cookies are placed on your electronic devices to make the Website capable of being used, by providing basic features such as page browsing and accessing secure areas. The Website cannot function properly without this type of Cookies.
- Preference Cookies. Some Cookies enable the Website to remember choices persons make, for example, user name, and language or text size. These cookies are known as “functionality cookies” and help to improve a person's experience of the Website by providing a more personalized service.
- Statistical Cookies. Statistical Cookies, such as those linked to Google Analytics, help understand how users interact with the Website by anonymously collecting and reporting information.
- Marketing Cookies. These cookies are used to better understand user interests and to display more relevant advertisements.
10. Your rights
You have the right to access your personal data processed by us and may request without limitation that they be removed, updated, or rectified.
- Except as otherwise required by law, you are entitled at all times to know if we are processing personal data concerning you. You may contact us to know the content of such personal data, verify their accuracy and request that they be supplemented, removed, updated, or rectified. You also have the right to ask us to cease processing any personal data that may have been obtained in breach of applicable law, and to object to the processing of your personal data for any other legitimate reason.
- Where we rely on your consent to process your personal data, we will seek your freely given and specific consent by providing you with informed and unambiguous indications relating to your personal data. You may revoke at any time such consent.
- You have also the right to request your personal data’s portability, i.e. that the personal data you have provided to us be returned to you or transferred to the person of your choice, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format without hinderance from us and subject to its confidentiality obligations.
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the competent authority.
- If you are not satisfied with the way in which we process your personal data, you may lodge a complaint with the competent data protection supervisory authority, in particular in the Member State of your habitual residence, place of work or place of the alleged infringement, in addition to the rights described above.
- Although this is not required, we recommend that you contact us first, as we might be able to respond to your request directly.
- If you have any questions or a request in relation to the processing of your personal data by us, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.